Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Insanity Month 2 - Start & New Goals!

I've managed to survive through Month 1 of the Insanity program, along with the following recovery week (1 week worth). The recovery week is there for you to allow your muscles to recover and get stronger through all the wear and tear you gave it through month 1. I do have to say that recovery week was still pretty intense. I did feel very exhausted after each workout video with Shaun T constantly advising that I shouldn't be feeling exhausted. But then again, my diet wasn't the best. It goes to show that the saying "you are what you eat" holds true. Whenever I went out to eat an In-N-Out cheeseburger, I felt very heavy and slow throughout the entire day. On the other hand, eating healthy leafy greens and good quality protein made me feel lighter and more energetic. I've learned that eating healthy is crucial to keeping a consistent fitness lifestyle.

When I first started exercising, my main goal was to become skinnier. I wanted to look like the girls on Instagram who posted pictures of their muscular abs, thin waists, and lean biceps. I wanted to be skinny so that I could fit better in my clothes. But I think that's not the right way to approach fitness. By going through the typical cycle of thinking that I have to exercise everyday, missing one day worth of exercise, feeling an immense amount of guilt for missing a day of exercise, and finally feeling discouraged after criticizing myself for not being consistent, I realized that my exercise routine was unhealthy. Nobody should expect themselves to exercise every single day immediately after living an exercise-free lifestyle. It'd be nice to stay consistent and exercise at least 5 days a week. But if you haven't been exercising for a while, it may be overwhelming in the beginning. One major reason why people give up on an exercise program is because they get tired. Their muscles wear out, and they don't know that they need a day's worth of rest in order to recover. Most exercise programs require a consistent 5-6 day per week exercise routine. For some, that may be too overwhelming. Going slowly to change your lifestyle is key to a long-lasting change.

As of now, my goal is just to live a healthier life. I want to be able to exercise 5 days a week, go through workout videos once a day, eat healthy, and become healthy. With exercise, a healthy diet will be craved. With a healthy diet, a healthy body will be achieved. With a healthy body, I can achieve more goals in my life. Imagine all the possibilities out there if you can have a healthy, strong body. I want to be able to hike an entire trail without stopping or feeling tired. I want to be able to mountain climb one day. I want to be able to learn how to surf one day. I want to be able to explore around the world without feeling as tired than I did before. It's not about being skinnier, or becoming more physically attractive. It's about learning more about myself, and to try and be the best version I can make of myself.

I just finished Max Interval Circuit,  and it was terrible haha! 2/3rds of the way, I did fine. The last 1/3rd was filled with rests and heavy breathing. I was terrible at it, but I still went through the entire video slowly, at my own pace. The key to a healthier exercise routine is to not get encouraged. Go at your own pace, and one day you'll breeze through that same old workout video that you couldn't even finish. I'm planning to go through the 60 day Insanity program one more time after this month. So let's see how much I improve the second time around. Wish me luck, and hope my words encouraged many of you going through the same fitness journey. Stay strong, and good luck! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment